Promoting Fundamental British Values at St. Nicholas Priory CE VA Primary School.
Our school reflects British values. We aim to be at the heart of the community, sharing, supporting and learning together with everyone as equals. Our children are entitled to high quality learning experiences to enable them to be the best they can be.
We encourage our children to be creative, confident, open-minded, independent and unique individuals, respectful of themselves and of others in our school, our local community and the wider world.
We aim to nurture our children in their journey through life so they can grow into caring, democratic, responsible and tolerant adults who make a positive difference to British Society and to the world.
The Key Values are:
- rule of law
- individual liberty
- mutual respect
- tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
The list below describes the understanding and knowledge expected of pupils.
- an understanding of how citizens can influence decision-making through the democratic process;
- an appreciation that living under the rule of law protects individual citizens and is essential for their well being and safety.
- an understanding that there is a separation of power between the executive and the judiciary, and that while some public bodies such as the police and the army can be held to account through Parliament, others such as the courts maintain independence;
- an understanding that the freedom to choose and hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law;
- an acceptance that other people having different faiths or beliefs to oneself (or having none) should be accepted and tolerated, and should not be the cause of prejudicial or discriminatory behaviour; and
- an understanding of the importance of identifying and combating discrimination.