Gooseberry Planet have had several enquiries and been alerted to an incident of grooming, in an app called Sarahah. This is an anonymous feedback app, which is being used to bully people online. It is also used to befriend and groom. Sarahah syncs with Snapchat and other forms of social media. Users collect personal information from other online accounts and use this to help convince the recipient they know them, sharing names and specific locations. This is a high-risk app that enables inappropriate contact with people online. It is difficult to manage and monitor. Our advice is to avoid this app altogether.
Reducing the risk:
- Remove the app if it is already installed.
- Avoid linking the app with other social media accounts.
- Check online friend lists.
- Avoid sharing personal information on any social media account.
- Be aware of who can and cannot view your content.
- If your child has been using this app.
Always encourage children to talk to a trusted adult.